Honey Oatmeal Bread
When I first starting baking bread I tried to make whole wheat and my husband protested. I found this recipe and managed to get some whole grains into him. His tastes have changed and I now make all sorts of whole grain breads but this his still his favorite.
- 1 12 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/3 c
- butter, unsalted
- 5 1/2-6 1/ c
- unbleached white flour
- 1 c
- oats, quick cooking
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 2 large
- 1 large
- egg white
- 1 Tbsp
- oat meal, i like regular for the topping
How to Make Honey Oatmeal Bread
- 1Combine water, honey and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low hear until liquids are very warm (120-130-degrees).
- 2Place 5 cups flour, oats, salt and yeast in bowl of stand mixer. Attach dough hook. Mix for 15 seconds. Gradually add warm liquids to flour mixture, about 1 minute. Add eggs and mix an traditional minute.
- 3Continuing on speed 2 add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer.
- 4Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled in size, about an hour.
- 5Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- 6Combine water and egg white. Brush tops of loaves carefully with mixture. Sprinkle with oatmeal. Bake at 375-degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.