Greek Peinirli - Specialty Bread
It is a boat-shaped bread with a buttery-cheese filling, though meat can also be added. Greek Kaseri cheese is best, but if you can't get this, then use a yellow cheese that melts easily.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 500 g all-purpose white flour
- 500 g bread flour
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 100 g melted butter
- 200 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml honey
- 14.79 ml salt
- 1 kg kasseri cheese, roughly grated
- 150 g butter
- 4.92 ml oregano leaves, whole
- 8 ham slices (optional)
- 8 slice bacon, cooked (optional)
How to Make Greek Peinirli - Specialty Bread
- 1Warm the milk to make it slightly tepid and put in a mixing bowl, now add the honey and dissolve it, then add the yeast and dissolve it.
- 2Mix the 2 types of flour together and then add 200g of this mixture to the milk and mix well.
- 3Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, to activate the yeast and rise.
- 4Put the remaining flour in a large bowl and add the salt and melted butter.
- 5Beat the egg in a little tepid water and add to the mixture.
- 6Add the flour and yeast mixture to this mixture and knead well, adding some tepid water to make a non-sticky pliable dough.
- 7Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- 8Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and roll each ball out flat and give them an oval shape.
- 9Spread the grated cheese lengthwise in the centre of each one. You can sprinkle a few leaves of oregano on top if you wish.
- 10If you are using ham and bacon, put the slice of ham at the bottom, the cheese on top of it and the slice of bacon on top of that.
- 11Looking at the dough with the oval-shape horizontal in front of you, take the top left and bottom right corners and fold them in a little bit toward the center.
- 12Then take the top right and bottom left corners and do the same.
- 13Pinch the two ends of the oval together so that you get the boat-like shape.
- 14Cut the 150g butter into 8 equal pieces and place in the center of each.
- 15Sprinkle a shallow oven dish with some flour, place the 8 peinirli on it and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 16Then put them in a pre-heated oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes, until they are golden brown, and serve warm.