Crusty Onion Bread
Great with pastas and hearty soups and stews too! Love it with tomato soup and chili..
Recipe idea from the home cooking adventure.
- 1 large
- onion, chopped fine
- 1 bunch
- (about 6 in a bunch)green onions white part,chopped, save green part for later
- 1 Tbsp
- dark brown sugar (helps dough ferment)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 3 1/2 to 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1 bunch
- green onion greens(from above) finely chopped
- 1 c
- warm water for bread
- 1 c
- boiling water for oven
How to Make Crusty Onion Bread
- 1This is a batter method bread. It is lighter and easier to handle but also requires no kneading or shaping. The batter can be thick or thin , in this case it is a little thick- a casserole bread. But in any case the yeast batter is merely mixed and then allowed to rise in the bowl or in the baking pan. The texture of the finished product is delightfully different- a new treat.
When doubled in bulk, the batter looks moist and somewhat rough with small bubbles just under the surface. The top is not tightly stretched as in a dough but slightly rounded and soft until baked.
- 2In a skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Cook both types of onions for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add brown sugar and reduce heat to low. stirring until onions are golden brown. Season with a bit of salt. Set aside to cool.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Dissolve the yeast in warm water and add to the flour. Mix together well then add the cooled onion mixture and onion greens.(the brown sugar in the onions helps the dough to ferment). Knead until mixture pulls away for the side of the bowl. Adding a little more flour if needed. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let set for about 1 hour;until double in size.
- 4Preheat oven to 450^. Generously grease a large loaf pan 5x9-inch or bake a round loaf, in a casserole dish.Place a small bowl of boiling water(about 1 cup of water) in the hot oven- then place the loaf of bread in the oven.( this will create steam and make for a crusty bread.)Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Remove bread from pan or tray to cool on a wire rack.