Cheddar Bacon Bread
Leslie Speed Dutton
Cutting a thin slice in the top of the dough allows for the heat to seek in and ensure even cooking.
3 1/2 cflour
1 1/4 tspsalt
1 tspbaking soda
2 Tbspbutter, softened, for dough mixture
1 Tbspbutter, softened, for top of loaf, more if needed
4 ozsharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1 3/4 cbuttermilk
1/2 lbbacon, thick sliced
How to Make Cheddar Bacon Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease two 5 x 9 loaf pans.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain excess grease on paper towels. Cut strips up into bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowel, sift salt, baking soda and flour together.
- With your fingers, combine 2 tbsp. of butter until thoroughly combined. It should look like sand. Stir in cheese and bacon until well mixed. Add buttermilk until dough just comes together.
- Divid dough evenly between both loaf pans. Smooth tops of dough. With a knife, cut a thin slice down the center of each loaf. Thinly slice remaining butter and put in the slices, using more if needed.
- Bake until tops are golden brown and a tester comes out clean, approximately 25 - 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy! :o)