Buttermilk Wheat Bread
How to Make Buttermilk Wheat Bread
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Warm buttermilk in the microwave for approximately 1 to 1-1/2 minutes (warm to the touch, but not scalding hot). Stir the buttermilk to remix it after pulling it from the microwave.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl. If using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment to mix at low speed and then knead the dough on medium low to medium for 5 minutes. Add extra whole wheat flour 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary to firm up dough. If making by hand, mix all ingredients until combined, then knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 - 6 minutes, or until dough is elastic, adding a little whole wheat flour as necessary to bring dough together. If using a bread machine, add ingredients as per manufacturer's directions and set for Basic or White cycle.
- After kneading, place bowl on top of oven, covering with a kitchen towel, for 20 minutes
- Punch dough down and place into greased loaf pan. Allow to rise a second time for 20 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes