Bread Machine French Baguettes/ "Sub" Bread
- 1 c
- 2 1/2 c
- bread flour
- 1 Tbsp
- white sugar
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- bread machine yeast
- drizzle of oil or butter to grease bowl
- egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp
WASH FOR TOP OF BREAD
How to Make Bread Machine French Baguettes/ "Sub" Bread
- 1Place 1 cup water, bread flour, sugar, salt and yeast into bread machine pan in the order recommended by manufacturer. Select Dough cycle, and press Start.
- 2When the cycle has completed, place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm place for about 30-40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 3Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16x12 inch rectangle. Cut dough in half, creating two 8x12 inch rectangles. Roll up each half of dough tightly, like a jelly roll, beginning at 12 inch side, gently pounding out any air bubbles as you go. Roll gently back and forth to taper end. Place 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. (I fit both on one sheet) Make deep diagonal slashes across loaves every 2 inches, or make one lengthwise slash on each loaf. Cover, and let rise again in a warm place for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush over tops of loaves.
- 5Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.