BAUERNBROT (GERMAN FARMER'S BREAD)
Recipe & photo: Germanfood.about.com
2 1/2 call purpose flour
2 1/2 cwhole wheat flour
1/2 crolled oats
2 tspcaraway seed
1 1/2 tspinstant yeast
1 cmilk mixed with 1 tbsp. vinegar (sour milk)
1 cplain yogurt
1/4 csourdough culture (optional)
1 to 2 Tbspwater
How to Make BAUERNBROT (GERMAN FARMER'S BREAD)
- DOUGH: Mix flours, oats, salt, caraway and instant yeast together in a large bowl. Add the sour milk, yogurt and sourdough culture and begin mixing, either with an electric mixer or by hand. Mix until dough forms a ball, adding water if needed. The dough should be slightly sticky.
- Continue kneading, either with the mixer or on a lightly floured board for 5-7 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes, then knead again for 1 minute. Form into a smooth ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat the top. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and form into a typical long loaf as follows:
Degas as little as possible.
Pat dough into rectangle.
Indent with fingertips down the middle.
Fold one third to middle, lengthwise, pulling dough taut on the bottom.
Press seam a little to seal.
Fold other third to middle (pulling dough taut) and pinch seam closed.
Roll over, seam-side down and rock gently while rounding the ends and making loaf longer or fatter, as you wish.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet or cardboard, dust top with flour and let rise until doubled. About 30 minutes before you plan on baking, slash the top with a sharp razor blade at least 1/4 inch deep.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees for 1 hour before baking. Use a baking stone if you have it, according to manufacturer's instructions. Otherwise, place an old pan on the bottom rack and set the second rack in the middle.
- Place the bread on the middle rack (still on the parchment or floured baking pan), pour 2 cups of hot water into the old pan and close the door.
- Using a spray bottle filled with water, spray the sides of the oven after two, five and seven minutes. Turn oven down to 450. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until a temperature probe measures 190-200F or loaf is brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove and let cool 2 hours before slicing.
- NOTE: You can purchase sourdough culture online. King Arthur Sourdough Starter, Goldrush Sourdough Starter, or Ed Wood's International Starters can all be purchased online. Or you can obtain a culture sample from a friend or start your own.