Bacon & Jalapeno Corn Bread, Pan de Maiz con Tocino y Jalapeno
- 1/2 lb
- bacon cut in little pieces, rendered down crisp, saving bacon grease
- 1/2 large
- fresh sweet red pimento pepper diced small
- 1 large
- jalapeno seeded and veins removed, diced fine. more jalapenos can be added optional
- 1 medium
- sweet vidalia onion or sweet onion diced small
- 2 large
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- bacon greese or melted shortening
- 2 stick
- melted butter
- 1 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 1 c
- all purpose white flour
- 1/4 c
- 2 1/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
How to Make Bacon & Jalapeno Corn Bread, Pan de Maiz con Tocino y Jalapeno
- 1Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees. Fry bacon until crip remove bacon from the fry pan and set aside. Measure out the greese drippings they should measure out 1/4 cup to this add 2 sticks butter. Melt the butter in the bacon greese in the microwave. Now add the melted butter and bacon grease back into the cast iron fry pan.
- 2Next in the cast iron fry pan add the diced onion, red pimento pepper and jalapeno and saute until veggies until limp. Set aside
- 3Mix in a bowl 2 eggs and beat slightly add the milk. Mix again set aside.
- 4Now mix all the dry ingredients, flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- 5Next combine all the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix gently with the wisk, next add the sauteed veggies and with a rubber spatula scrape all veggies, grease and butter into the batter. Mix well. Last add your crispy bacon that has been crumbled slightly.
- 6Pour the batter back into the cast iron skillet and bake in a hot oven for 20/25 minutes. Corn bread should be golden when removed from the oven. Let cool and serve with butter or just plain. Enjoy