Bacon, Cheddar and Chive Scones
2 call-purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
4 Tbspcold butter, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 ccheddar cheese, freshly grated
12 slicebacon, cooked and crumbled
1/3 cchives, chopped
3/4 ccream, plus 2 tbsp (if needed)
How to Make Bacon, Cheddar and Chive Scones
- Pre-heat oven to 425. Lightly grease a baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Using your hands, incorporate the butter until mixture is unevenly crumbly. Some of your butter will remain in larger pieces, which is exactly what you’re trying to achieve.
- Mix in cheese, chives and bacon until evenly distributed.
- Add ¾ cup of cream and work in with your hands. If the mixture sticks together and you have no remaining crumbs at the bottom of the bowl, do not add more cream. If crumbs remain, add more cream – 1 Tbsp at a time – until the mixture holds together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface.
- Pat dough into a 7” disk and roll until it is about ¾” thick. Transfer the disk to your baking sheet.
- Using a knife, cut into 8 wedges and spread apart slightly on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with additional cream to help them brown while cooking.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes until scones are golden brown.