★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp
- brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 10 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/3 c
- baking soda
- 2 Tbsp
- kosher salt
How to Make Almost - Famous Soft Pretzels
- 1Make the pretzels: Warm the milk in a saucepan until it's about 110 degrees; pour into a medium bowl.
- 2sprinkle in the yeast. Let the yeast soften, about 2 minutes
- 3stir in the brown sugar and 1 cup flour with a wooden spoon
- 4Dice 2 tablespoons butter and soften; stir into the mix.
- 5Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour and the fine salt to make a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if needed, until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 5 minutes.
- 6Shape into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and grease a large baking sheet. Punch the dough to deflate it, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. (If the dough seems tight, cover and let rest until it relaxes.)
- 8Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll and stretch each piece with the palms of your hands into a 30-inch rope, holding the ends and slapping the middle of the rope on the counter as you stretch. Form each rope into a pretzel shape.
- 9Dissolve the baking soda in 3 cups warm water in a shallow baking dish. Gently dip each pretzel in the soda solution, then arrange on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the coarse salt.
- 10Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes