Virginia's Buttermilk Cornbread
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 call-purpose flour
3/4 cyellow corn meal
1 Tbspbaking powder
3/4 tspbaking soda
1 1/4 cbuttermilk
1/4 cvegetable oil or melted shortening
How to Make Virginia's Buttermilk Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk and melted shortening or cooking oil.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Pour the batter into an unheated, well-greased 9-inch cast iron skillet. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until light brown on top.
This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9x13x2" pan.
- If using a cast iron skillet, (only if you want a crispy cornbread), place greased 9-inch cast iron skillet in oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour batter into hot skillet and bake for about 20 minutes.
We usually grease the well-seasoned cast iron skillet thoroughly with Crisco and do not preheat the pan. Preheating the pan usually gives a crisp crust.