Virginia's Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1 c
- all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- yellow corn meal
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 3/4 tsp
- eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil or melted shortening
How to Make Virginia's Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 2In another bowl combine eggs, milk and melted shortening or cooking oil.
- 3Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- 4Pour the batter into an unheated, well-greased 9-inch cast iron skillet. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until light brown on top.
This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9x13x2" pan.
- 5If using a cast iron skillet, (only if you want a crispy cornbread), place greased 9-inch cast iron skillet in oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour batter into hot skillet and bake for about 20 minutes.
We usually grease the well-seasoned cast iron skillet thoroughly with Crisco and do not preheat the pan. Preheating the pan usually gives a crisp crust.