Uncle Bud's Sourdough Starter
1 Cup flour, per,1 Cup liquid plus 2 tbsp sugar.
- 4 qt
- unbleached white flour (16 c)
- 4 c
- 1 gal
- water, warm (untreated) bottled pure
How to Make Uncle Bud's Sourdough Starter
- 1Use a crock or a big pickle jar works good (washed)
Stir flour, water, and sugar into a medium batter.
- 2Use a jar or crock that holds 3 times the the amount you will start with. Do not use metal, set crock on back of stove or near the warmest part of the kitchen for it to start it's fermentation process. You can also fill a fruit jar with hot water and insert jar into the middle of the batter. This helps start the batter.
You now have a sourdough starter. You will have to stir it down every day and close the lid. When the dough gets to working full steam ahead, place in a cool place, not cold but cool such as pantry.
- 3Now you will be able to use it as a yeast for you use pancakes, biscuits, or bread. Try not to use more than 2/3 at any time. As soon as you take some out replace the same amount with flour, water, and sugar. This will keep it going, you may dip out an amount out to put in jar for a friend but replace with the same amount of ingredients once more in to your jar.