Ukrainian Easter Paska
1 clukewarm water
1 pkgdry granular yeast
3 cscalded milk(lukewarm)
5 cunbleached white flour
1/2 cmelted butter
9-10 csifted unbleached white flour
How to Make Ukrainian Easter Paska
- Disolve sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it.Let stand for 10 minutes.Combine softened yeast with lukewarm milk the honey and 5 cups of flour. Beat until smooth.Cover and let batter rise in a warm place until light and bubbly.Room temperature should be 65-75 degrees,having a warm room helps the dough to rise better.
- Add beaten eggs,sugar,melted butter and salt; mix
throughly. Stir in enough flour to make a dough that is neither too soft or too stiff.Knead until dough no longer sticks to hand.Turn dough onto floured board and knead until smooth and satiny.place in bowl and let rise in a warm place
until double in bulk,(about 11/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again (about 1 hour)
- Divide dough into 3 parts place in buttered coffee
cans or round round pan.let rise till double in bulk
(if using coffee csns let it rise just to the rim you don't want it to go over the rim it will crack or burst while baking.)Brush tops of loaves with a
beaten egg and 2 Tbsp of water.
- Place in preheated oven 400 degrees (f)for 15 minutes,then lower the temperature to 350 * (f)and
continue baking for 40 minutes longer or until done.
Avoid browning the top too deeply.Cover with aluminum foil if necessary.Remove loaves from pan
and allow to cool completely.(when using coffee cans
the first slice off the bottom should be kept to put at the bottom so the Paske will not dry out.Place Paska in sealable plastic bags after they have cooled,they will stay fresher that way.