Treacle Bread (Brown Soda Bread)
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1-1/4 c
- buttermilk, plus additional as needed
- 3 Tbsp
- dark molasses (preferably blackstrap)
How to Make Treacle Bread (Brown Soda Bread)
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and ginger in a large bowl; mix well.
- 3In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and molasses; mix well. Stir buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Add additional buttermilk by tablespoonfuls if needed to make dry, rough dough. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead 8 to 10 times or just until smooth (do not overknead). Shape dough into a round loaf about 1-1/2" thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- 4Use floured knife to cut halfway through dough, scoring into quarters (called "farls" in Ireland). Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour, if desired.
- 5Bake about 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm. Note: Bread can be sliced or pulled apart into farls.