Treacle Bread (Brown Soda Bread)
2 call purpose flour
1 cwhole wheat flour
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspground ginger
1-1/4 cbuttermilk, plus additional as needed
3 Tbspdark molasses (preferably blackstrap)
How to Make Treacle Bread (Brown Soda Bread)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and ginger in a large bowl; mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and molasses; mix well. Stir buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Add additional buttermilk by tablespoonfuls if needed to make dry, rough dough. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead 8 to 10 times or just until smooth (do not overknead). Shape dough into a round loaf about 1-1/2" thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Use floured knife to cut halfway through dough, scoring into quarters (called "farls" in Ireland). Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour, if desired.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm. Note: Bread can be sliced or pulled apart into farls.