Traditional Soft Pretzels
1 1/2 cwater
1 1/4 tspactive dry yeast (1 pkg)
2 Tbspbrown sugar
1 1/4 tspsalt
1 cbread flour
2 Tbspbaking soda
2-4 Tbspbutter (melted)
How to Make Traditional Soft Pretzels
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp. baking soda. Stir often.
- After dough has risen, roll out dough and shape into pretzel shapes.
- Dip pretzels into baking soda solution and place onto preheated cooking plates (or a cookie sheet for the oven)
- Place in oven (or pretzel maker) for 5-7 minutes on about 400 degrees (less if you like softer). Remove each pretzel and brush with melted butter.
- After you brush with butter try sprinkling with sea salt.
To make sweet pretzels, melt a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another shallow bowl make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Then dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.