Traditional Irish Soda Bread
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
How to Make Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly grease and flour bastible pot or a cake pan.
- In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough.
- Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)
Shape into a round flat shape in a bastible pot, dutch oven, or round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
- Cover and bake, if using cake pan, cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot).
Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.