Traditional Cream Scones
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 c
- 1/2 c
- half and half cream
- additional granulated sugar (optional)
How to Make Traditional Cream Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 450F. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2Break eggs into a small bowl, reserving alittle of the white. Whisk eggs and stir in the cream. Add to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- 3Place dough on a floured work surface, knead for about 30 seconds and roll into an oblong 3/4 inch thick. Cut into triangles, or into diamonds by making diagonal cuts in one direction and then in the other direction. Mix the reserved egg white with 1 tsp. water and brush over tops. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool slightly on wire rack and serve warm.