The Best Blueberry Scones
3 call purpose flour
1/4 cnon fat dry milk
1 Tbsporange zest, fresh (optional)
4 ozbutter, cold (very cold), diced
1 tspvanilla extract
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 chalf and half (i have used 1/2 cup 2% milk with 1/2 cup heavy cream)
1/4 cheavy cream
·coarse sugar (optional)
How to Make The Best Blueberry Scones
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- NOTE: The first thing I do is to dice the butter and then I put it in the freezer while I prepare the other ingredients. I was told at the Cafe Louisa that this is the trick to a nice flakey scone.
- Combine the flour, sugar, dry milk, salt and baking powder in a bowl; add orange zest if desired.
- Cut diced butter into dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla and half and half; add to dry ingredients.
Fold in blueberries. Work with hands to keep from crushing the blueberries.
Pat into round pan; cut into six wedges; egg-wash.
NOTE: I sprinkle a surface with flour and pat dough into a 9 to 10-inch circle and cut into 6 to 8 wedges. If you cut 6 wedges, they will be very large wedges.
Bake for approximately 35 minutes.
- EGG WASH: Whisk together egg and cream and brush on top of scones. Sprinkle with sugar if desired