Sweet Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread
Diane Hopson Smith
Today I wanted a spicy cornbread to go with our Santa Fe Soup. This cornbread was an excellent choice for our soup.
I could have made a meal on the cornbread alone. It has a moist inside and crispy outside. A little sweet with just a little heat. Oh my, how I love this cornbread!
Hope you enjoy!
Inspired from Archie Timmons recipe on Allrecipes.
- 1 1/2 c
- self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 2 large
- 1 c
- buttermilk (add more buttermilk if needed)
- 1/4 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 large
- jalapeno peppers, seed and chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 oz
- cheese, shredded (i used sharp cheddar)
How to Make Sweet Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
NOTE: I use cast iron to bake my cornbread. I add oil to the bottom of the pan, sprinkle a little cornmeal in pan and put in the oven while it's preheating. I then mix up my batter. Once the cornmeal start to brown, it's time to pour the cornbread batter into the pan. It should sizzle like it's frying once the batter hits the hot pan.
- 2In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Add eggs, buttermilk and EVOO; mix well by hand.