Southern Style Corn Bread
How to Make Southern Style Corn Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet with the cooking spray. Put the skillet in the oven for 7 or 8 minutes or until hot.
- 2Stir the buttermilk, oil, and corn meal mix in a medium bowl until it is smooth. The batter should be creamy and pourable. If the batter is too thick add 1 or 2 more tablespoons buttermilk.
- 3Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- 4Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Invert the skillet onto a plate so that the cornbread is released from the skillet.
- 5Slice and serve with butter.