Southern Fried Cornbread
2 1/4 cself rising cornmeal (see note at bottom)
1/4 tspbaking soda
1-2green onion, chopped thin
1/4 conion, grated
·oil for frying
How to Make Southern Fried Cornbread
- Mix all dry ingredient together in a small bowl. Mix buttermilk and beaten egg together in another bowl. Mix with fry ingredients until all is mix in. Fold in onions and green onions.
- Heat skillet to Med-high. Add about 1/4" of oil into the pan. Let it heat for about 1 minute.
- Drop by small cookie scoops to hot oil and press down on top slightly with fingers (careful not to touch oil).
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. If it browns too quickly, reduce heat. As oil is used up' add more.
- This recipe makes a LOT! 2-3 dozen, depending on how big your scoops are.
If you don't have self-rising cornmeal, here's a quick recipe for it:
3/4 c. white or yellow cornmeal
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together and store in airtight container.