Sourdough English Muffins
How to Make Sourdough English Muffins
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the starter and the buttermilk. Whisk together flour, 4 Tbsp cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture all at one time and stir to form a soft dough.
- 2Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding sprinkles of flour, as needed, if the dough is sticky.
- 3Roll the dough out to a 3/8-inch thickness and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- 4Using a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut dough into muffins. Sprinkle a sheet of waxed paper with 1 Tbsp cornmeal; place muffins on top of the cornmeal, and sprinkle the tops with the remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise until very light--about 45 minutes.
- 5Bake on a medium-hot, lightly greased griddle or flat frying pan (cast iron works beautifully!) for about 30 minutes, turning often. Cool and split. Toast and butter. Enjoy!