How to Make SOURDOUGH BREAD
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Blend in starter batter,salt and sugar.
- Add 4 cups flour. Beat 3 or 4 minutes, Cover, let rise until double (1 1/2 hours) in a warm place free of drafts. (a good way to do that is to heat oven for about 2 minutes, turn it off and place bowl of dough in oven,
- Leave it alone the whole time, when it has risen, Mix baking soda with 1 1/2 cups flour, stir into dough. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough,
- Turn dough out onto floured boad or clean counter top. Knead 10 minutes. Divide dough in half shape into loaves of round loaves and place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- With sharp knife make diagonal gashes across the top and again let rise until double.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. brush with butter if you wish.