I don’t think mine turned out as pretty, but they were definitely good. Around $1 for all the ingredients used, so very affordable to make.
- 1 1/4 c
- warm water, 110 - 120 degrees
- 1/2 c
- sugar, divided use
- 4 tsp
- 1 c
- whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 c
- baking soda
- 2 c
- hot water
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- cinnamon sugar or salt to top
How to Make Soft Pretzels
- 1Combine warm water, 1 tsp sugar and yeast in your mixing bowl. Let sit until foamy.
- 2Add vegetable oil, 3 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and both salts. Set mixer to knead for 5 minutes. Add remaining cup of flour while it’s kneading.
- 3Put a lid on it or transfer to a covered, greased bowl to rise until doubled.
- 4Preheat oven to 450 and grease a cookie sheet.
- 5Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water.
- 6Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a rope, then shape into a pretzel or whatever shape you’d like.
- 7When all pretzels are shaped, dip them into the baking soda water then place on the greased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until browned.
- 8Brush with melted butter when they come out of the oven and sprinkle with coarse salt or cinnamon sugar.