How to Make Soft Pretzels
- While preheating oven to 425F degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lay down a silicone baking mat.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, stirring for about a minute. Add the salt and sugar and stir til combined. Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is thick,continuing to add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Poke the dough with your finger - if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and shape into a ball. With a sharp knife, cut the ball of dough into 1/2 cup sections.
- Roll the dough into a rope with an even diameter. Once you have your long rope (about 24 inches) take the rope and twist it into a pretzel shape.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and pour into a pie dish. Dunk the shaped pretzel into the egg wash (both sides). Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Turn the oven to broil and bake for 5 more minutes to brown the tops. Watch closely to avoid burning.