(recipe from The Amish Cook's Baking book)
1 1/2 tspactive dry yeast
1 1/2 tspsugar
3/4 cwarm water ( i heat some on the stove till right before boiling)
1 1/4 call purpose flour
·coarse salt for sprinkling
How to Make Soft Pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F. and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray
- Mix and dissolve the yeast, sugar, and salt in the warm water. ( I let stand for a few minutes)
- Stir in the flour, until a ball forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth.
- Divide the one big ball, into six smaller balls. Roll between floured palms till you get a rope, or snake, then shape into a pretzel form, and place on baking sheet.
- Beat the egg, then brush the beaten egg onto the uncooked pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt, then bake until they are lightly golden. (aprox 10 minutes).