(recipe from The Amish Cook's Baking book)
How to Make Soft Pretzels
- 1Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F. and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray
- 2Mix and dissolve the yeast, sugar, and salt in the warm water. ( I let stand for a few minutes)
- 3Stir in the flour, until a ball forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth.
- 4Divide the one big ball, into six smaller balls. Roll between floured palms till you get a rope, or snake, then shape into a pretzel form, and place on baking sheet.
- 5Beat the egg, then brush the beaten egg onto the uncooked pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt, then bake until they are lightly golden. (aprox 10 minutes).