Need: large bowl and lightly-floured baking sheet
Goes really well with Beef in Guinness! or warm with butter and a pint or tea!
How to Make Soda Bread
- sieve dry ingredients into a large bowl; scoop handfuls of mixture and drop back into bowl to aerate
- add enough buttermilk to make a soft dough; work quickly as the milk and soda are already reacting; knead the dough lightly (too much will toughen it, too little and it won't rise)
- form a round load about as thick as your fist; place it on a lightly-floured baking sheet and cut a cross in the top
- back at 450 degrees for 30-45 minutes; when baked, the loaf will sound hollow when you rap it on the bottom
- wrap your bread immediately in a clean tea towel to keep the crust from hardening too much