- 3 c
- ap flour
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 3/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- butter or shortening(i use spectrum organic palm shortening)
- 1 1/2 c
- buttermilk(or make sour milk using 1 1/2 tbs. or vinegar or lemon juice and adding milk to make 1 1/2c)
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or shortening to grease skillet
How to Make Skillet Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 400F
- 2Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt and whisk.
- 3Cut the butter or shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly.(I use my food processor for this)
- 4Add the buttermilk/sour milk and process/stir until it is just combined and a stiff batter is formed.
- 5Melt the 2T butter in a cast iron skillet(12 in) and brush it over the entire inside of the pan.
- 6Spread the batter over the bottom of the skillet. Score the dough into triangles(like a pie)with a sharp knife. Bake for 20-25 min. until golden brown.