3 cap flour
3 tspbaking powder
3/4 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 tspsugar
3/4 cbutter or shortening(i use spectrum organic palm shortening)
1 1/2 cbuttermilk(or make sour milk using 1 1/2 tbs. or vinegar or lemon juice and adding milk to make 1 1/2c)
2 Tbspbutter or shortening to grease skillet
How to Make Skillet Bread
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt and whisk.
- Cut the butter or shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly.(I use my food processor for this)
- Add the buttermilk/sour milk and process/stir until it is just combined and a stiff batter is formed.
- Melt the 2T butter in a cast iron skillet(12 in) and brush it over the entire inside of the pan.
- Spread the batter over the bottom of the skillet. Score the dough into triangles(like a pie)with a sharp knife. Bake for 20-25 min. until golden brown.