Simply the best scones!
- 2 c
- 1/3 c
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 8 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, frozen (or at least very cold)
- 1/2 c
- raisins or dried currants (craisins, any dried fruit or nuts)
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- large egg
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
How to Make Simply the best scones!
- 1Adjust rack to lower middle and preheat oven to 400.
- 2In a medium bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, powder and soda. Grate in the butter using a box grater and the large holes. Use your fingers to work in the butter (coarse meal consistency) Stir in raisins or nuts.
- 3In a small bowl whisk the sour cream and egg until smooth. Use a fork to stir in the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl to form a ball. It will be sticky in spots and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press that dough really will come together.
- 4Place on a floured surface and pat into a 7-8 inch circle 3/4 inch thick. Score it into 8 wedges (or use a scone pan if you have one) If you like you can sprinkle a little sugar on top. Place on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet or on parchment paper about an inch apart. Bake until golden brown, about 15-17 minutes Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!