Rye Batter Bread
How to Make Rye Batter Bread
- If possible check water temp. with a thermometer. Sprinkle yeast over water in large mixing bowl of electric mixer. Stirring until dissolved.
- Add shortening, sugar, salt caraway seed, 1/2 cup rye flour, and 1 cup all-purpose flour. at medium speed beat 2 minutes.
- Add remaining flours; beat 1 1/2 minutes, guiding batter into beater with rubber spatula. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place away from drafts, rise til doubled in bulk. about 30 minutes.
- Grease 8x4x2 pan
- with wooden spoon, beat batter 25 strokes. Spread evenly in prepared pan, using a buttered spatula smooth top. Cover with towel till doubled in bulk. About 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake loaf 45-50 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when rapped with a knuckle. Remove from pan brush top with butter cool completely.
- Makes 1 loaf.