How to Make Riley family Soda Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- 2In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In small bowl, combine buttermilk apple sauce and butter.
- 3Add apple sauce mixture to flour mixture; stir until mixture forms a ball.
- 4Turn out dough onto well-floured surface; knead in raisins. If not adding raisins, knead 10 times. Pat dough into a 6" round.
- 5Place dough in prepared pan. Cut cross in top of dough, 1/4 inch deep, with tip of sharp knife. Brush top of dough with milk.
- 6Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; turn right side up. Cool completely before slicing.