I use a bread machine for kneading because of wrist/joint issues, but this dough recipe can be created the old fashioned way--by hand--this was how I made it when I first created it.
Even if you aren't a bread baker, you can create this!
- 2 c
- tepid water
- 2 pkg
- dry yeast (may use 2 1/2 t. jarred dry yeast)
- 6 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 2 tsp
- sea or kosher salt
- 2 tsp
- granulated sugar
- olive oil to brush on pan and bottom or unbaked bread dough
- 1/8 c
- course corn meal
- 2 clove
- chopped garlic (may use 2 tsp. canned, chopped or 2 tsp. dry garlic powder)
- 16 oz
- spagetti or pizza sauce (may use tomato paste if stronger tomato flavor desired)
- 2 tsp
- each of fennel seed, oregano and basil
- 2 large
- roma or plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (any low-acid & low-pulp tomato may be used)
- green onions, chopped (include as much of top greens as possible)
- 1/2-3/4 c
- shredded colby-jack cheese
- 1/2-3/4 c
- shredded, part-skim, mozarella cheese
- optional: mild banana pepper rings; fresh, thinly sliced green pepper rings; or any other vegetable, fruit or spice you desire
How to Make Pizza Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Prep 1/2-sheet-sized cake or bake pan with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 2Set bread machine to dough setting.
Add tepid water and yeast. When yeast is nearly dissolved, add salt, sugar and the 1/2 cup olive oil. Turn on bread machine and add flour 1 cup at a time, making sure previous cup is stirred well into liquid before adding the next cup of flour. Turn on bread machine and allow dough process to run until complete.
- 3When bread machine is finished (dough will have risen to double its original size) open lid and check dough by pressing one finger into the top. If fingerpint indention remains when your finger is removed, the dough is ready. Punch down with fist and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- 4Oil hands lightly with olive oil from pan. Begin shaping dough to fit into the cake or baking sheet. Make a lip of dough around edges of pan--roll edges of dough into hotdog shape around edges of pan (it will look like one long roll all the way around the edges of the pan.) Make sure dough is even from center towards outside edges of pan. Use a fork to prick the dough approximately 6 times to keep dough from bubbling while baking. Brush bottom of dough with light amount of olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes on middle rack of oven. When baking is complete, remove and set on heat-protected surface while layering toppings on partially-baked dough.
- 5Rub chopped fresh garlic (may use canned chopped garlic or garlic powder if desired) onto baked dough with wood spoon. Top dough with spagetti or pizza sauce (use tomato paste if a stronger tomato flavor is desired). Sprinkle with fennel seed, oregano, basil and then shredded colby-jack cheese. Top co-jack cheese with the thinly sliced roma tomatoes and sprinkle on the chopped green onion. Top with the shredded mozarella cheese.
- 6Bake in the 375-degree oven on middle rack for 8-10 minutes depending upon how brown you like your crust. Remove and allow to rest 8-10 minutes before cutting.