Pita Pocket Bread
I am posting one Vegetarian Sandwich recipe for 'Jerk Tempeh Pitas' Here is your link:
veggiebyseason.com and is inspired by Mellow Mushroom!
***If you want make 'Pita Chips' instead!! Simply use with your favorite dip!
- 4 1/2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp
- dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 3/4 c
How to Make Pita Pocket Bread
- 1In a large bowl, COMBINE all dry ingredients. ADD water. MIX thoroughly.
ADD more flour 1/2 c. at a time and KNEAD until firm
- 2TURN out onto floured surface,
KNEAD for about 10 minutes, adding small amounts of flour to prevent sticking.
PLACE in bowl, and LET RISE until double.
- 3REMOVE from bowl onto floured surface. PUNCH down, KNEAD briefly.
- 4PULL off pieces of dough, and roll into balls. Size could be as small as a golf ball for “mini pitas”, or as large as a softball if to be used for pizza.
- 5ROLL each ball out with a rolling pin until about 1/8th inch thick
- 6Bread will not form pockets if thicker than this.
- 7PLACE onto cooling rack, and place into preheated 500° oven for 2–3 minutes, just until bread forms pockets.
- 8NOTE: Steam escaping pockets can be scalding!
- 9****For Pita Chips:
SLICE whole wheat pita into triangles,