PEGGI'S YEAST ROLLS
Peggi Anne Tebben
These hot rolls are to die for. Simple to make. They are so light & fluffy & they came out 5" tall. The only thing that could make them better is if I had cake yeast available to use instead of powdered yeast.
- 3/4 c
- lukewarm water
- 1 large
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or oil (i use butter) don't melt
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 1/2 tsp
- instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 2 3/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1 small
- egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- cold water
FOR THE BREAD
FOR THE EGG WASH
How to Make PEGGI'S YEAST ROLLS
- 1To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them, by hand, mixer, or bread machine, to make a soft dough. I use my bread machine to mix it. Set it on the dough setting. After is has mixed about 7 minutes, I check it to see if I need to add a touch more water or flour.
- 2If not using a bread machine, proof the yeast first & place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour & a half, until it's almost doubled in size.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface,knead it 5 or 6 times to sorta form a flat loaf. Take your bench knife & cut it into , up to 1 dozen rolls. This depends on how big you want them. I fit 9 nicely into a dark deep dish pie plate, so that's what I make out of them.
- 4Take each piece of dough & shape into balls that are smooth on top by bringing sides down &tucking them underneath, pinching together on the bottom.
- 5Spray dark colored pie plate with pan spray , generously. Before placing the roll in pan,rub the top of the roll in the pan coating spray to coat the top of roll. Next, place roll, seam side down , in the pie plate. Repeat for all rolls. Do not crowd rolls. You just want them barely touching when you put them in, as they will rise & expand. If too crowded, they will not cook properly.
- 6Cover with tea towel, and let rise until the buns have doubled in size. At the start of the rising, I preheat oven to 325° & set the rolls on top of the stove toward the back where the heat vents out. Only takes about 20-30 minutes to get to size.
- 7When ready to bake, mix 1 egg with 2 Tablespoons cold water. Take a pastry brush or a new, cheap wooden handled paint drush with not so thick bristles & gently brush the tops of rolls with egg wash.
- 8Place in oven on middle rack & bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 9Remove from oven gently & place the pie plate on cooling rack & allow to rest at least 10 minutes before serving.