1 pkgactive dry yeast
1 1/2 cwater, warm
1 1/2 tspsalt
2 largeeggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cshortening, melted
1 cadditional flour, for rolling out the rolls
How to Make Parkerhouse Rolls
- In a large bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of very warm water, sugar, & salt. Stir to mix. Sprinkle yeast on top & let sit 5 minutes to soften. Add beaten eggs. Add melted shortening that has cooled to just warm.
- With mixer, beat in 4 cups of flour one cups at a time. By hand, stir in the last cup until well mixed. lightly grease the top of the dough with oil or butter. Dough will be wet and sticky. Cover bowl lightly and let rise 1 1/2 hours until about double. (instead of letting the dough rise at room temperature, you can place directly in the refrigerator and let rise over night.)
- Grease 3 or 4 eight inch cake pans.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a heavly floured surface, sift flour on top of dough and roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch cutter. Brush off excess flour then brush the tops of the rounds with melted butter. Pull the round into a 2 1/2 inch oval and fold in half. Buttered side out.
- Place rolls in the perpared pans with the folded side to the edge of pan. Continue placing rolls into pan ending with one roll in the middle of the pan.
- Cover pans loosely and let rise about an hour or untill doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake rolls 12 to 15 minutes. Cool and serve warm.