6 ozwarm water (not too hot though!)
1 tspactive dry yeast
2 cunbleached flour (i replace 2/3 cup of white unbleached flour with whole wheat flour)
How to Make Pane Italiano
- Place the water and active dry yeast in the mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt. KNEAD for a few minutes until the dough is elastic and not sticky.
- Allow dough to rest for 45 minutes covered in the mixing bowl.
- Shape the dough into a long loaf or round ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Let rise in a warm oven for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once the oven is to temperature slash the dough on top with a sharp knife and lightly dust with flour. (I also added a sprinkle of kosher salt to the top.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the pan around at the fifteen minute mark. Bake until browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
For a 1 1/2 pound loaf you will need: 3 cups flour, 9 ounces warm water, 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
For an automatic bread machine: Place everything in the bread pan in order suggested in your ABM manual.