Oatmeal Molasses Bread
How to Make Oatmeal Molasses Bread
- Before baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put oatmeal, molasses and butter into a medium sized bowl. Pour boiling water over top and let sit for 30 minutes
- Stir together yeast, salt and 4 cups of flour in a large bowl or the bowl for your mixer.
- Add oatmeal mixture to the flour mixture and stir until completely incorporated
- Scrape bread dough on to counter or kneading board covered in flour from the total amount for this recipe. Do not add all of the flour at once, this should me a fairly soft bread.
- Knead in a mixer for 8 minutes, adding flour a little at a time as needed so that the dough clears the sides but still has a "base" at the bottom that sticks to the bowl.
If you are kneading by hand, knead dough, adding flour until it is between a soft and firm dough. It should be rollable, but not too stiff.
Regardless of method, I strongly encourage a little hand kneading at the end of the process. It helps to judge the dough readiness.
- Put smooth dough ball into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a plate. Let rise in warm place until double in size. Approximately 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough and press to remove air bubbles. If it is is not forming easily, let rest on the counter, covered, for a few minutes before proceeding.
- Roll into desired shape(s). You can make rolls or loaves in any way you wish.
- Put shaped dough on a greased sheet or in a greased pan. Cover dough and let rise another 30 minutes
- Remove cover and bake for 30-35 minutes. The bread is done you can flick the bottom and it sounds somewhat hollow.
Let cook (if you can) and eat!