★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- quick oatmeal
- 2 c
- boiling water
- 2 pkg
- 1/3 c
- lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- sorghum (molasses) or honey
- 2 Tbsp
- butter/oleo, softened
- 6 c
How to Make Oatmeal Bread
- 1Pour oatmeal over boiling water, cool till warm
- 2Soak yeast in lukewarm water until soft
- 3Add to oatmeal; salt, honey/sorghum, butter/oleo. Mix well.
- 4Add softened yeast and a total of 6 cups flour. I use my mixer and add 4+ cups while the mixer can handle it.
- 5Knead till it forms a soft mound. If not understandable (soft mound) ask Dear Hubby - he'll know.
- 6Let rise until double. Punch down. Make into loaves. Let rise till doubled. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 7You may vary this bread with the following additions that you ad following the softened yeast:
#1 - 1 c. raisins
#2 - 3/4 c. citron or dried fruit or both
#3 - 1/2 c. orange marmalade (Cut your honey/sorghum to 1/4 c.
#4 - 1/2 t. dried parsley, 1/2 t. anise seed, 2 t. dried savory, 1/4 t. powdered thyme
#5 - My favorite - 2 t. crumbled leaf sage, 1 t. leaf or dried marjoram, 1/2 t. caraway seed