No –knead French bread
To store,wrap loaves individually in plastic wrap and freeze. To thaw and re-crisp, unwrap and place in 300 oven.
- 2 cups tepid water (90* to 100*)
- 2 pkg. regular active dry yeast (not quick rise)
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
How to Make No –knead French bread
- 1Measure water into large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water; let stand 5 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups flour until smooth. Stir in remaining flour and salt, stirring until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
- 2Remove dough from refrigerator 2 hours before shaping and let rise, covered in a warm place until almost double in size.
- 3Coat a dark, rimless baking sheet with cooking spray. Coat work surface with cooking spray and dust with flour. Transfer risen dough onto work surface; divide into 3 pieces. Shape into long, narrow loaves (about the length of the baking sheet). Place loaves on prepared baking sheet, cover and let rise until puffy, about 45 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 450. Make 4 to 5 diagonal slashes on each loaf with a sharp, serrated knife. Spritz loaves heavily with water. Bake until loaves are golden 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack.