my mom's homemade bread
- 6 c
- a little over luke warm water
- 3 Tbsp
- (heaping) active dry yeast ( i buy my yeast at the food co-op by the pound)
- 2/3 c
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- 6 lb
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
How to Make my mom's homemade bread
- 1add water to very large bowl, mix in yeast, salt, oil, sugar. stir to blend well. add a little flour a time. when dough is started it will be sticky,put on floure counter and start to knead bread dough adding a little flour until the dough is not sticking to your hands.
- 2with shortening on a paper towel grease your large bowl. put dough in bowl and turn once so the shortening is on all sides. cover with a kitchen towel. put in warm place until doubled. (i put a cover on bowl and set in a sink with very warm water. it seems to rise faster)
- 3divide dough into 6 portions. you can put some in greased loaf pans and/or make 12 rolls out of each portion. let raise until doubled.
- 4put bread and rolls in 350 degree oven. bake until golden brown. the bread will be done done if when tap it you can hear a hollow sound. when you take bread or rolls out of oven take a stick of margarine and coat on all sides.(this keeps the crust softer)