Multi-Grain Spelt Bread
1 3/4 tspsea salt
3 cwhole spelt flour
2 1/2 tspbaking chocolate, semi-sweet
1/2 tspbaking powder
2 Tbspapple cider vinegar
1/2 csunflower seeds, roasted
3 1/2 cwater
3 Tbspteff seeds
3 Tbspquinoa, cleaned
How to Make Multi-Grain Spelt Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350'F. Spread the Sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 5-8 minutes.
- While the seeds are toasting, bring two cups of water to a boil and add the teff, amaranth, millet and quinoa grains along with 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Watch this, it can cook faster, so check it now and again. The water should be absorbed when it's finished cooking. It will stick so be careful.
- When done, set the cooked grains aside in a bowl to cool.
- In another large bowl, mix together the flour, toasted sunflower seeds, baking soda, baking powder and remaining salt.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water, oil and vinegar to the cooked grains and mix well.
- Fold the grains into this mixture to form a thick batter. I noticed the batter started to bubble a little with the leavening and the vinegar coming into contact.
- Be gentle with this, don't over mix it will just make it tough.
- Pour the batter into your 8x4 loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Cool for a good 30-40 minutes before slicing. Due to the amount of grain it will crumble if you cut it when its warm.