Mike's signature pretzel bread
2 1/4 tspyeast
1 cwater 110-120 degrees)
2 Tbsproom temperature milk
1 Tbspdark brown sugar
3 Tbspbutter, softened
1 tspkosher salt
2 1/2 cbread flour, may use up to 3 cups
BAKING SODA BATH
1/2 cbaking soda
·kosher/ corse salt to taste
2 Tbspmelted butter
How to Make Mike's signature pretzel bread
- Add. water, yeast, milk, brown sugar and butter into a large bowl whisking until all ingredients is combined.Let mixture rest 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. mix in Kosher salt. start by adding two cups of the flour to the bowl, combining it with the other ingredients, add more flour as needed, reserve just a bit for coating the dough mat later.
- The dough should be slightly tacky, but firm ball. Oil the bowl, place the dough ball in the bowl and cover with a damp towel for 30 minutes, after 30 minutes knead the dough by hand or machine for at least 5-10 minutes, until the dough is elastic and satiny, place dough back in bowl and recover for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bring the 4 quarts of water to a boil slowly add baking soda.
- remove the dough from the bowl and gently degas it.
shape dough into balls, about the size of a normal roll. I usually get about 6-8 out of this recipe
- drop one at a time into boiling baking soda bath for no longer than 30 seconds turning once.use a slotted spoon to remove, place on an oiled baking sheet, repeat with remaining balls
- sprinkle kosher salt over the top of each ball,(to taste)and make sure to cut a small incision on the top of each to allow dough to expand
- cook for 22 minutes rotating the baking sheet once
- once removed from the oven brush immediately with melted butter to guarantee a soft crust