- 4 c
- boiling water
- 3 c
- old fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- 7 1/2 to 8 c
- all purpose flour approximately, divided
- 2 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 c
- dark molasses
How to Make Maryetta's Oatmeal Bread
- 1pour the boiling water over the oatmeal in a large bowl and leave to cool. Then stir in 2 cups flour and the yeast. Place in warm spot and allow to rise, uncovered and doubled in bulk, 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and work in the salt, oil, molasses and enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- 2turn out on a floured board and knead, adding extra flour if necessary to make a pliable stiff dough - about 10 minutes, but you cannot knead too much. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and form into 3 loaves to fit 3 buttered 5 by 8 loaf pans.
- 3Allow to rise again, uncovered, until doubled, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 40 to 60 min.
I brush tops with melted butter just out of the oven.
Cool on racks before slicing.