Kellie's Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a terrific recipe for anyone who loves good bread but is apprehensive about trying to make it on their own. I've made bread before, but this is absolutely one of the prettiest loaves I've ever turned out. It felt like a personal triumph! The Test Kitchen
1 pkgactive dry yeast
3 cwarm water (110 to 115 degrees) divided
1/2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
3 call purpose flour
5 to 5 1/2 cking arthur whole wheat flour
·butter, optional for serving
How to Make Kellie's Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add the oil, sugar, brown sugar,honey, salt and remaining water. Combine flours; add 3 1/2 cups flour to mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves
- I like to use 1 = 11 3/4in X 5 1/2in X 3 1/4in Loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes