Italian ham and cheese sandwich casserole. Bauru
This casserole is like a big sandwich in which you cut into squares and serve. Super simple and you can make it your own by adding any ingredient that strikes your fancy. I served these slices with a big batch of soup, and the whole family loved it. A great dish to feed the crew with. I have made it 3 times now, each time changing up what I put in it. I will be playing with this recipe as it is so versatile and very easy.
- large eggs, room temp.
- 2 c
- olive oil
- 2 c
- 2 c
- ap flour
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder and 1 teaspoon additional baking powder
- 1 pinch
- 8 oz
- sliced ham
- tomatoes, chopped,seeded
- italian seasoning, to taste
- 8 oz
- mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz
- provolone cheese
- 1 c
- bread crumbs, divided
FOR THE BATTER:
FOR THE LAYERS:
How to Make Italian ham and cheese sandwich casserole. Bauru
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan, and sprinkle bread crumbs on the bottom.
- 2Have all layer ingredients ready to layer. I chopped my ham slices, and seeded and cut cherry tomatoes. The cheese can be sliced or shredded.
- 3Make the batter: blend the eggs, oil,milk,flour,salt and pepper very well. A blender works great, or whatever method that works for you. After blended, stir in the 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. This batter can be poured as it is very liquid. Do not fear, it works out great!
- 4TO ASSEMBLE: Pour half of the batter in the bottom of your greased and breadcrumbed baking dish. The batter is a little over 4 cups so pour about 2 cups into your pan.
- 5Top with layers: 1/2 of the Ham,tomatoes,mozzarella,italian seasoning, the rest of the ham,provolone
- 6Pour the remaining batter over the top spreading evenly.
Sprinkle the rest of the bread crumbs over the top.
- 7Bake @ 375 degrees, for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick inserted in the center. It should come out clean. Depending on additional add ins, it might have to bake longer.
- 8ADD INS: Here is the fun part!
You can add any ingredient you like in a sandwich. I have tried roasted red peppers, very well drained. Artichoke,very well drained.
Any kind of meat and seasoning can be switched up as well.
Super versatile! The batter is amazing and so easy. It is like a blank canvas that you can create any number of fantastic sandwich squares with.
- 9Enjoy! :)