Italian Anise Easter Bread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Subtlety sweet... tastes like Easter! The Test Kitchen
2 pkgactive dry yeast
1/2 cwarm water
1/2 cwarm milk
1 csoftened butter
1 1/2 Tbspwhole anise seeds
6-7 call purpose flour
1egg for wash
How to Make Italian Anise Easter Bread
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in water, let bubble.
- Then blend all other ingredients in yeast water mixture, gradually add in flour.
- Knead dough 5-10 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 5 hours.
- Punch down after first rise, shape and place in greased loaf pans. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rise 2 more hours.
- Mix one egg with 1 tablespoon of milk or water and brush tops of loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- NOTE: If you have time, you can let this rise overnight, punch dough down and shape, put in pan and let rise 3 more hours, then bake.