Iron Skillet Corn Bread
Schelley Brown Francis
How to Make Iron Skillet Corn Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2In one bowl add cornmeal and sugar. Set aside
- 3In a mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs. Add the cooking oil and milk. Mix well.
- 4Now, add the cornmeal with the sugar mixture to the milk, eggs and oil mixture and stir. You don't want to stir too much, or your bread will be tough. Just stir with a spoon or fork until the lumps are broken up and mixed in.
- 5Put butter (margarine) in skillet and stick that in teh oven to melt. Just make sure you don't scorch the butter. (You want to do this after you get your cornbread mixed up.) Once the butter is melted and hot in your skillet, take the pan out, shake it around to coat the surface evenly.
- 6Spoon the cornbread batter into this hot cast iron pan. Some of th ebutter will come up over the edges and make a ring on top of the batter. This gives it a great taste.
- 7Stick the pan back in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. I use a 10-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe. If you have a smaller one you will want to cut down this recipe. If you are using a larger skillet then you will not need to cook as long.
- 8Note: the key to making good old-fashioned cornbread is in the cast iron. It's just not going to taste the same unless it is made in a seasoned cast iron skillet. I also like Martha White brand cornmeal. I have used both white and yellow meal. I do like mine with white cornmeal. Remember, don't wash your skillet just wipe it out. That makes it that much better the next time!