Irish Soda Bread
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add raisins and caraway seeds.
- 3Add buttermilk all at once and mix.
- 4Knead the dough on a lightly floured board. (To knead, press the dough flat, fold it in half, turn the dough, and repeat.) Form into a round loaf on a well-greased baking sheet.
- 5With a knife, carefully mark an X across the top of the loaf. Lay a piece of foil over the loaf. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 6Lower heat to 250°F and bake 30 minutes more. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes, until the loaf is slightly browned.
- 7Cut into wedges and serve with butter.