Irish Soda Bread
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Add raisins and caraway seeds. Stir to mix well.
- Add buttermilk and stir til mixed together.
- To Knead: turn dough out onto floured surface. Sprinkle with a little flour. Fold and knead the dough until the stickiness disappears. This takes 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with more flour as needed.
- After the dough has been kneaded, shape into a round loaf. Place on the prepared cookie sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut an "X" in the top, approximately 1/2 inch deep.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 40 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve with butter. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.
- Notes: Loaf will be crusty when done. You can insert a knife into the loaf to check for doneness. If the knife comes out clean, the bread is done.
This is an egg-free, sugar-free recipe.
Fresh buttermilk gives the best flavor. Buttermilk powder will also work in this recipe.
Makes one loaf.